Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Victim of the Nile River





I've snowboarded the Rockies, canyoneered the Swiss Alps, and surfed the perfectly blue waters of Costa Rica. Now I have had the ultimate thrill of rafting the ferocious Nile River. It took me 30 of the 31 kilometers of the adventure to actually get over my astonishment of being in the Nile.


To me, the Nile River was a mysterious place learned about in history and geography classes growing up. The closest I ever imagined coming to the river was watching the Discovery and History channels on TV. Who hasn't seen a special on killer crocs and hippos of the Nile?


Rafting the Nile is on the top ten list of every travel guide in East Africa, and for great reason. The day consisted of 31 kilometers (or roughly 20 miles) of Class 5 rapids. Class 5 rapids are the biggest commercially ridable rapids in the world. Anything above Class 5 is illegal for rafting companies to take their rafters through. Aside from the thrill, I was also fortunate to ride with an awesome group of people.  My raft could literally represent the United Nations -  we were all from South Africa, Tanzania, England, Australia, Finland, Germany, Uganda, and the U.S.  


I highly recommend rafting the Nile River to any adrenaline junky out there. If you like to get wet, I guarantee that you will get tossed from your raft. I promise the experience will not let you down. Watch out for the crocs!


Hilarious sequence of me getting bashed by the Nile...
My raft completely submerged in a Class 5. Where am I?
See the bright red helmet in the middle of the raft? That's me. Wait...
See that leg sticking out of the top of the wave? Guess who...
My raft looking for me. I literally flipped backwards out of the raft and had to be fished out of the water by a rescue kayak. I am such a wuss. 

Not my group, but look how the rafters are hanging on for their lives like it's the sinking Titanic...so awesome

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could have joined you out there! That looks like a blast. You'll have to tell me all about it this weekend. - Trey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I wasn't around to watch this! This might have been worse than watching you make a hit on the football field. You're nuts!
    But I do love the second pic--LOL--your arm muscles are busting while you hang on for dear life!!
    Love and hugs, mom

    ReplyDelete