Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Aba's Dream Comes True - Finish Line Crossed!

Pastor Aba riling up the crowd!

Aba's daughter singing - his family drove 150 miles from Soroti for the day

Modest crowd for the first Sunday

Welcome to Sunday service at Light of the Lord Global Missions, Uganda. The first Sunday could not have gone any better and I give all the credit in the world to Aba for pulling it off. With Mary’s Milk consuming every working moment and our limited funds quickly depleting, I instructed Aba to make a bare bones budget and gather exactly what he needed in order to have a service that matched his vision.

On Saturday, I was on my own rafting the Nile River and was unable to communicate with the other Director’s. As a result, the preparation and organization for Sunday’s service was placed completely on Aba’s shoulders. I’ll admit it, my vision of Sunday was a modest tent and chairs and an expectation of just a handful of people. However, I was completely taken aback when I arrived at our service. The set-up was so beautiful that it seemed as if Aba found a way to make the value of every shilling worth tenfold. Not to mention he put my vision to shame. I guess when you know you are about to fulfill a dream, nothing can stop you from matching what you envision. 

The day was complete with flowers, balloons, music and DJ, singers, a translator, an usher, guest speakers, food, drinks, and even a cake cutting ceremony with sparklers! The service started with about 15 people in attendance and finished with roughly 50 people. We also fed about 50 people a full meal with drinks and cake included. The reality is that this might have been some of the attendee’s only meal of the day. 

I take no credit for this amazing day. I was a mere church attendee witnessing Aba fulfill his dream of becoming a Pastor/Preacher. I have a feeling we are going to outgrow our tent within a few Sunday’s…

The cakes read: "Happy Birthday LOLGMU" and "Light of the Lord Global Missions"

All smiles

The kids followed the music

Some dancing 

Funny how our numbers increased as the food and cake were revealed!



Pre service set-up







3 comments:

  1. Tearing up! this is beautiful! I feel like I'm reading a story in National Geographic while waiting in the doctor's office. You said you wanted to someday do something that made a difference---well between the store and the church I think you have already achieved that goal.
    Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. who would not love food and cake coach :)

    ReplyDelete