Friday, April 9, 2010

Mary's Milk Open for Business - Goal #1 Complete

Grand opening! Thursday, April 8, 2010



Our 600L milk cooler set to a perfect 4 degrees celsius. Deep freezer in the corner



Our first 1,000 Uganda shillings. $1= ~2,000 shillings

This day is a day I will never forget - successfully launching a business in a foreign country, employing young locals, providing a critical product to the community, and taking a giant step in creating a sufficient network of operations that will help supplement the long term vision of Light of the Lord Global Missions. Just getting to this day is simply a miracle. You know what else is pretty miraculous? We profited on our first day! A cool 11,500 shillings, or $6. In a future post, I will have to explain the business in detail - from the cows, to the farmers, to the suppliers, to us, and to the market.  

I think I have learned more in just 5 weeks then any MBA or classroom setting could ever offer me. Being thrown directly into the fire is how I like to learn. With that, below are my top discoveries into starting a small business in Uganda (successfully operating the start-up is going to be whole other story). Even though my insight is based from Uganda, some of these points may apply anywhere in the world. 

In no particular order...

1) Over Budget 
  • Unforeseen expenses will arise, guaranteed. As a newcomer in a foreign land, there are just certain things you take for granted coming from America and would never think about budgeting for. For example, trucks and SUV's are driven primarily by the government, NGO's, and the very few wealthy Ugandan's. So, without access to a large vehicle, we have to hire out people to move any equipment for us. In America, I would take my Explorer, put the seats down, and fit half a house in the back of my car. Or, I could call up a couple friends with trucks and they'd be glad to lend a hand. Nope, not here. For any help you have to dish out the cash. 
2) Murphy's Law: anything that can go wrong will go wrong
  • I dove head first into a culture on the other side of the world. I am living and working within a city jungle where the process of Natural Selection must of been originated.  Time is irrelevant. Show any sign of weakness and you will be eaten alive. I've realized it's wrong and quite possibly dangerous to enter this part of the world with a linear plan and idealistic views. Things will go wrong...every single day. Adversity is a constant enemy to Ugandans so why should it be any different for me and my efforts? You can't control everything. You just have to accept what comes to you and roll with it. 
3) Getting it done and staying flexible
  • In the book, In Search of Excellence, the authors promulgate the idea that poor management is a result of managers inability to think outside all the analyses, concrete business plans, financial statements, etc. Simply put, they can't break from paralysis of analysis. In America, you are most often a mile drive, website click, or quick phone call away from every possible need. In Uganda, there are no Yellow Pages, Angies List, or Craiglist. If you get hung up in finding the best painter, the best landscaper, the best equipment, (basically trying to be perfect) you will not get anything accomplished. Often you have to accept what's available and trust your gut instinct over what you had originally planned.
4) Babysitting...not my forte 
  • Similar to point number three, if you try and micromanage, you will literally kill yourself trying. If you tell me I look older when I get back to the U.S., it will be because of this point! I am a perfectionist (thanks Dad) and I can be anal about things being done the right way. Moreover, I've had the weight of fulfilling our two big goals on my shoulders for the last five weeks. If we fail, it's on me! With that, I found myself babysitting (or supervising the supervisor) the landlord to make sure all the construction was being completed on time. I found myself babysitting the painter in making sure every single drop of paint was perfectly placed. I was going nuts and I had to pull back. I let go, put it in God's hands, and now we are just two days away from accomplishing both goals. 
5) Know who you are managing
  • I was a high school football coach this last Fall in Virginia. I realized quickly that you can't manage young men who are preparing for violence that same way that you would a peaceful-natured Ugandan. When I was a coach, I learned that every kid of mine was motivated differently and had their own reasons for playing the sport. This forced me to get to know my kids on a personal level. What made them tick? What were their goals and dreams? Similarly, I've had to do the same with my Uganda team, but from a different approach. Our Pastor, Aba, bottles up when he is angered or threatened and he withdrawals easily from confrontation. As soon as I lost my cool with Aba, I would lose him. This was before I knew what makes Aba tick. The more I get to know him, the better our relationship becomes. 
6) No more hand holding
  • This is and will continue to be very difficult for me, but it's paramount to our success. Our objective is to create self-sustainable projects. The worst thing we could possibly do is create a welfare scenario, for this would do way more harm then good. So, I've put my blood and sweat into this project and now I just have to walk away? Well, yes and no. I will continue to play a support role and dive back in deep when we choose to expand, but it is also time for John, Aba, and Steve to take control of their future and run the show. 

Sunday is going to be another big day as Aba fulfills his dream in becoming a pastor/preacher and starting a church. I will have a follow-up post after the big day. 

Boss Man


My right hand man, John




Angela, our first employee




New marketing material


6 comments:

  1. You are amazing Blake! Take your blog and your experience and apply to the Harvard MBA program. You probably have already finished most of the requirements for graduation! Can't wait to see you.
    Love ya,
    Aunt Liz & Uncle Julian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am sooo impressed! can't wait to hear all the stories!
    btw, if you decide to go to Harvard, we ain't payin' JK!
    Have fun rafting the Nile this weekend---be safe. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! love the thumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This needs to be a reality TV show!! incredible. you will write a book on this when it is all done...when are we going to skype

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations Blake. very proud of you. drink some of that milk. you look skinny. ps. tell angela she's hot! Cheers! chet

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah...forgot...tell angela that statement is a real compliment given uncle chet is a us model type stud.

    ReplyDelete